Military Veterans Interested in Joining SPD
Are you a military veteran interested in a new and exciting career? At the Sparks Police Department, we value military veterans and offer a wide range of opportunities based on your experience. Do you have prior military qualifications and have tactical or technical skills in Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD), advanced robotics, drones, armory, weaponry, combat effectiveness, small unit leadership or range officer operations? If so, we have many opportunities to capitalize on your expertise and critical skills.
At the Sparks Police Department, we help make your transition from serving your country to serving your community a little easier with a generous starting salary including paid holidays, benefit package, military leave, tuition reimbursement, bilingual pay, educational incentive pay, and a retirement plan fully paid by the city of Sparks as well as partial match Deferred Compensation program.
If you are actively serving in the military reserves, we offer flexible scheduling that provides the time off needed to continue pursuing your military career.
In addition to career benefits, veterans who relocate to Sparks with their families choose to stay here. Our community receives higher than average marks when it comes to housing, education, and cost of living. We have a local VA hospital, as well as nearby Fallon Naval Air Station which has additional military amenities available.
Sparks has more than 50 local parks and many year-round attractions. With walking paths, trees and sandy beaches surrounding a 77-acre lake, the Sparks Marina Park is a great place for recreational activities for the entire family.
Did we mention we’re less than a 45-minute drive from Lake Tahoe and world-renown skiing and outdoor recreation? Enjoy virtually unlimited access to outdoor activities such as hunting, camping, hiking and boating all within a short drive from home. Learn more about what we have to offer and how to apply.
Recruitment Hiring Process
The hiring process can take as little as 3 months from application to offer letter. This is a continuous recruitment position. You may put in one application each 365 day period. Below is a brief outline of our recruitment hiring process to get you started.
- Review Minimum Qualifications:
- Must be 21 years of age by your Civil Service testing date, a citizen of the USA and be free from police record.
- Possess and maintain the equivalent to a valid Nevada Class C driver’s license at the time of the Civil Service testing and at time of hire.
- High School Diploma or equivalent AND
- Equivalent to 24 semester units of college level coursework; OR
- U.S. Armed Forces, National Guard/Air Guard and U.S. Coast Guard service may be accepted in lieu of the 24-semester units; please attach a copy of your DD-214, Member 4 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) to the application; OR
- Equivalent to 36 months of full time employment in the last 7 years in one of the following types of employment:
- Criminal justice, law enforcement, law or related work
- Public safety
- Direct and regular public/community contact involving dispute resolution
- Work with community initiatives
- Work with children/adults with special needs, or closely related work
- Apply: Formally Apply for the Police Officer Recruit position (Required)
- Test: For all test dates, applications must be received by Noon (PST) on the Monday before the test date to be considered for that test. Candidates who meet minimum qualifications will receive an e-mail invitation to schedule their test. The test day includes a physical abilities and a written test. Plan to spend 4-8 hours testing.
- SUMMER 2021: Saturday, June 12, 2021
- FALL 2021: Saturday, August 14, 2021
Have questions? Connect with us today by completing the form below or giving us a call at 775-353-2299.