The Sparks Police offer several ways for a person or business to submit digital photos or video footage related to a case or investigation. When filing a report in person, whether with an officer or at the department, you can submit a CD, DVD or other digital storage containing photos or video footage.
Upload Electronic Video or Photo Evidence
Another option is to upload the video or photos yourself electronically to a secure website. Your electronic upload of evidence goes directly into this system and is the quickest way to get it into a case and actioned by the appropriate parties. This direct submission process also allows us the opportunity to identify patterns of criminal activity.
An officer or police assistant can provide you an electronic invite with a link to upload your video or photos. Be sure to include the case number, incident number and any notes to explain the photos or video footage.
We prefer the following formats:
- Document file formats: PDF
- Video file formats: DIVX, TS, 3GP, ASF, AVI, FLV, MOV, MP4, RM, VOB, WMV, F4V, MPG
- Image file formats: JPEG, JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP
- Audio file formats: MP3, WAV
Larger Files or Proprietary Formats
For businesses or individuals with footage from a DVR, Windows -based system or other system that produces proprietary files that require a player or CODEC, please refer to the instructions below to save, export and upload those files.
- Place your video file(s) and the player into a folder on your computer desktop or storage device.
- Right-click on the folder name, select ‘Send to’, and then select ‘Compressed (zipped) folder’. A new zipped folder with the same name is created in the same location. The icon for the new folder will display a yellow folder with a zipper and a file extension type of Compressed (zipped) folder.
- Upload the new zipped folder to Sparks Police using the URL invitation you received from the Sparks Police Department. When uploading, be sure to add a Caption and a description of your zip file.